Friday, March 8, 2013

New Kitchen Table - diy



After moving into our house one of the first thing that was reno'd was our kitchen.


I love our painted cabinets - I knew I wanted a mix of colors (rustic blue on the bottom and white on the top).



I love our built-in bench!  It adds so much more sitting to the kitchen area.



So many more people can keep me company while cooking :-)


I just couldn't find a kitchen table that I loved for the spot.  Since we have lived in this house I think I have tried 4 or 5 different tables in this spot.

I knew I needed a pedestal because people need to be able to slide in from both sides.

I found this table on craigslist:


So I painted the base the bright coral-y red color and painted the top white.  I distressed it and added glaze to warm it up a bit.  I liked the base a lot, but the top was too small for the space.

So I was left with this base:


I decided that I would make a top to fit the space that would also coordinate with the other woodwork in the kitchen.


The back of the bench (top left of picture above) is framed with trim that now matches the trim I put on my tabletop.

I am pretty sure this table will sit 4 very comfortably (using only the benches - no added chairs) and 6 a little tighter.

A few more looks at the table:












And a few more looks at the base:




I painted the pedestal and then roughed it up a bit (sanded some of the edges) to show the wood through the paint.

I also added "worm holes" by sticking a screw driver into the base in some spots.

Lastly, I added a glaze over the entire base.
I will post a tutorial on how I added the top just in case someone was wondering or wants to repurpose their old pedestal table base for a new table.

No comments:

Post a Comment